Thursday, May 31, 2007

I Live in Terror of My Image



I was somewhat-happily typing away messages to a lady I had known in Delaware (for unknown reasons, romance is often falsely kindled by America Online software) when I saw a dear old friend emerge from offline. It was at this point that I made two mistakes - one minor, one extremely grave.

In my effort to double-click my friend's buddy name (a clever allusion to a musical group he enjoys), I accidentally double-clicked on Santa Claus, with whom I cannot claim more than passing connection. The window opened, and I barely saved myself from chatting up he who knows if I've been sleeping. A quick click and I was safely back on track to speak with my dear friend (no offense intended to Father Christmas, of course). That was my first mistake, and it was easily remedied.

The second mistake, however, proved much more fatal. I accidentally clicked on a green camera symbol next to the name of the Delaware lady, and suddenly was plunged into a face-to-face appearance that yielded results of which I am neither proud nor at privilege to speak. Suffice it to say that there was embarrassment on both sides, and an actual rekindlement of feelings previously merely professed for basic amusements. Inclusion of any more detail would cross into indecency. I am ashamed enough - question me no further.

The deadliness of this video communication cannot be overstressed. Like the atomic bomb and Olestra, this technology was best left in the minds of speculative-fiction writers and out of actual life.

No comments: